Racewalk Clinicsfor BEGINNER, INTERMEDIATE, and ADVANCED LEVELS
Potomac Valley Track Club, long one of the premier racewalking clubs in the country, hosts racewalk clinics for beginning and experienced racewalkers.
Race walking has an efficient, smooth, flowing style and can be an enjoyable addition to your fitness program; it is also a local and international competitive sport at all levels, including the Olympics.
Depending on your choice of intensity level, it can range from moderate exercise to a fast-paced, highly aerobic, full-body workout. It is a far lower-impact sport than running and provides comparable conditioning benefits for your health.
FREE TRAINING SESSIONS:
- Jim Wass coaches most Tuesday evenings (during the outdoor season) at 6:00 PM and Saturday mornings around 7:00 AM, at Montgomery Blair High School on the outdoor track adjacent to Route 29, just outside the I-495 Capital Beltway. Contact Jim (301-257-1348), Jim@jimwass.com for more info or to see if other opportunities are available.
- Art Klein coaches every Wednesday at 7:00 PM outdoors at T.C. Williams High School track, 3330 King Street, Alexandria VA. During these one-hour sessions, Art coaches specific exercises to improve form and walk faster.
Contact Art (831-234-1739), firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
In addition, 90 minutes before the start of each of PVTC's all-comers outdoor track meets, we offer a drop-in clinic at 7:00 AM, again coached by Art Klein.
Meet dates and locations:
- Saturday, May 26, 2018, at Robinson High School, Fairfax, VA
- Saturday, June 9, 2018, at T. C. Williams High School, Alexandria, VA
- Saturday, July 14, 2018, at Wakefield High School, Arlington VA
- Saturday, August 4, 2018, at Edison High School, Alexandria, VA
- Saturday, August 18, 2018, at Wakefield High School, Arlington VA
Each clinic offers three elements:
- Basics of racewalking for beginners
- Technique and aerobic workouts for intermediates
- Racing strategy and tips for everyone
Meet us on the track. Wear workout shorts/shoes. For outdoor workouts, a hat and sunscreen are a good idea. Bring water. You can drop in at any of the clinics; no pre-registration is required. Each clinic provides beginning instruction for new participants, together with continuing drills and workouts for those who return
for additional sessions.
Students can immediately put their training into practice at the all-comers meets. Each outdoor meet begins with a 3000-meter race walk competition as the first event, starting at 8:30 AM, followed by a one-mile racewalk later in the meet for those who want to try a shorter distance.
For directions to the venue and updated information about the club's all-comers meets, please see the Outdoor page
The clinics are free.
A clinic is cancelled if an all-comers meet is cancelled, e.g., due to pouring rain or lightning.
Check the club hotline (703-481-3530) for last-minute information.
For further information about the clinics, please call Art and Becky Klein (571-402-7102) before 9:00 PM or write to email@example.com