Ed Barron Holiday Series Championship Rules
In 2007, PVTC reinstituted the Ed Barron Holiday Series Championship for our long-distance road races. The championship is named to memorialize Ed Barron, the founder of Potomac Valley (Seniors) Track Club.
The series consists of 5 races:
- By George
- Easter Classic
- Go Fourth
- Cranberry Crawl
- Christmas Caper
- To score championship points, you must be a member of PVTC on or before the date of the race.
- You may score points in all 5 races.
- You must complete a minimum of 3 races.
- For runners, we have eight age groups by gender, 19 & under, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69, 70-79, and 80 & over.
- For racewalkers, we have two age groups by gender: Open (39 & under) and Masters (40 & over).
- The scoring goes 5-4-3-2-1, by age group and gender – 5 points to the first place finisher, 4 points for second place, 3 points for third place, 2 points for fourth place, and one point for all other finishers.
- Your age at first event you compete in determines your age group for the year.
- Only club members score points. For example, if you finish a race third in your age group, but you are the first-place PVTC member, you get 5 points.
- At races with multiple distances (e.g., 5K/10K at the Christmas Caper), you must choose one distance during registration, but you can select different distances at various races in the series, i.e., 5K at one race and 10K at another. You can score points in only one race per day.
Awards: At the end of the season, PVTC presents awards to the top-scoring 3 runners and 1 racewalker by age group and gender – 48 awards for runners (3 top scores x 8 age-groups x 2 genders) and 4 awards for racewalkers (1 top score x 2 age groups x 2 genders).
Let the competition begin!
- You do not need to bring your membership card to the event. Membership status and age group are based on PVTC's membership records.
- Your membership is effective as of the postmark on mailed applications; the "received" date on on-line applications; or the date of the event for applications submitted at an event.
- Pre-paid pre-registration is available both on-line and by mail.
If you register for all 5 races, you get one race free (5 for the price of 4)
Individual event fees are $5 for members, $10 for non-members until two weeks out, $10 and $15 until one week out, and $20 for both in the final week and on race day.
- Your total score is total points earned in all events you finish, without regard to the distance (5K or 10K).
- For both runners and racewalkers, in the event of a tie, first tiebreaker is head-to-head competition; if tie remains, next tie-breaker is who has the most 5-point races, then 4-point races, etc. until the tie is broken. If a tie remains after these tests, we give duplicate awards.